Here are some shots of the garlic that I recently pulled out of my Lift Lock Community Garden Plot. The garlic was planted last October & heavily mulched in straw. The ground was so dry that was very easy to pull out. I used a fork to loosen the surrounding soil & it popped out!
Once you have pulled out the garlic, you need to 'cure' it so that it will last over the winter & can be prepped for replanting ....
First: Remove excess dirt, bugs, or any damp plant matter. Do not take off too much of the white skin, it is what protects the garlic! If any of the garlic skins are cracked right down to the clove (see below), it is probably best just to eat that garlic as it will not likely store too well.
ONce the garlic has been cleaned up, bunch a few bulbs together & tie
I planted only 25 cloves & ended up with close to 400! I am drying the majority of these for re-planting as the seed stock is very special to me
Hang to dry in a room that gets good air flow and is not to hot or exposed to direct sunlight. A barn is ideal, but of course not everyone has that!






No comments:
Post a Comment